Taking your company’s operations online is an exciting step. However, this also subjects you to attacks that can cause downtime and even business closures, resulting in massive losses. Any cyber-attack on an organization leads to a lot of panic if not a monetary loss. This is why online businesses need to have ways to take note and contain possible threats quickly. Vijilan labs recommend Security Information and Event Management as one of the ways to contain online threats.
SIEMs are a combination of SIM (Security Information Management) and SEM (Security Event Management), which provide analysis of security alerts in real-time. While the SIM is a long-term solution in terms of storage and data analysis, the SEM comes in handy for real-time monitoring, event correlation, and notifications.
The summarised work of a Security Information and Event Management System is to record data collected across the organization’s network internally and identify any possible threats. Once these threats are noted, the SIEM communicates with other security systems to keep off questionable activities.
Working with a SIEM comes with the following benefits:
- Automation of the parsing log and categorization in any computer type
- Pattern detection thanks to visualization by SIEM using its security events and various log features
- Detection of covert, encrypted channels and malicious communications
- A SIEM system can accurately detect a cyber-warfare
- The SIEM pattern detection, baseline, dashboards, and alarming features can identify protocol anomalies that could be a sign of a security threat.
- The visibility and anomaly SIEM detection capabilities can detect polymorphic codes.
In summary, SIEM works by:
- Gathering log information
- Creating compliance reports
- Calibrating Security data
- Analyzing the same Security data
- Building relations between security events
- Taking note of any indications in line with a security breach
- Presented collected information on possible threats or breach to the security team
All advantages and functioning of a SIEM system require that you utilize its essential capabilities.
Key Must-Have Capabilities for a SIEM System
- The security event correlation. It is a critical factor for any SIEM system. It helps in analyzing collected data for possible threats.
- Security alerts. Any SIEM system needs a way to communicate to the security team or its data and solutions will be of no use to the company. With security alerts, your team will be aware of all threats at the right time, which will ensure quick action before further damage.
- Log management. Your security team needs access to multiple files on different hosts. Analyzing is also made easier thanks to log management.
- Threat intelligence feeds connection to draw feeds from multiple locations.
- Report presentation, which helps your security team understand alerts and threats to know what actions to take. This presentation should be easy to understand.
- A dashboard. This must have a comfortable user interface for easy identification of threats, making it easy for analysts to detect any anomalies.
- Machine learning. This is the heart automation for a SIEM system.
o you need a more detailed walk over the SIEM system? Contact the Vijilian Support team soon.